Tips for flood safety – Keeping your home and belongings safe in case of flood
Nature exhibits its rage in the form of natural calamities; it can happen anytime, anywhere and takes lots of thing with it. The news of flooding makes our heart skip a beat because we are aware of the devastations it has caused in the past. We cannot stop this natural destruction but minimize the losses it causes to us.
The best way to protect your belongings from the flood is to get it insured by the best and reliable insurance agency. Christian Insurance agency is always there to help you in finding the best suitable flood insurance policy for you as per your need and budget.
While going through the stats from 1980 to present we see that there was 70 tropical and subtropical cyclones affected the U.S state of Texas. The most intense storm in terms of barometric pressure was Hurricane Allen in1980 and the deadliest and cruel was Hurricane Harvey in 2017. Hurricane Harvey took 103 lives and damage caused is $125 billion in Texas according to National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.
These stats warn us and we must shield ourselves and belongings from flooding.
Hence, comes the necessity of flood insurance as generally Standard homeowners insurance does not cover damage due to flood.
There are some safety measures and tips which will definitely be a help to combat the effect of flooding,
What are the preparations to be done before a flood?
- Protect your family and belongings. You must discuss all the necessary steps to take during flooding with all your family members if a flood watch or warning is issued.
- Ensure you have access to NOAA radio broadcast so that you can keep an eye every second on the situation.
- If you live in a floodplain, you must get flood insurance and keep all the documents, insurance policies in a safe – deposit box.
- Keep furnace, water heater and electric panel at elevated floors that are less likely to be flooded.
- Check Valves must be installed in plumbing for the prevention of floodwater to backing up into the drain of your home.
- You must construct barriers to stop floodwater entering your home.
- Use sandbags when flooding is expected.
During a flood
- Switch off all the utilities from the main power switch.
- Keep all the valuables, paper, documents, and clothes to elevated floors.
- Never drive, swim or walk during flooding as it can cause loss of control and stalling.
- Sanitize your Bathtubs and sinks and fill with fresh water.
- Continuously listen to local Area Radio or NOAA related to flooding.
- Throw away any food that comes in contact with flood water.
- Check the damage before entering in a building.
- Listen to NOAA for updated news and return only if authorities permit it is safe to do.
- Must clean and properly sanitize your home.
- Take inventories of damage and destroyed items for the claim.
- Do not switch on the electrical equipment until an electrician has inspected everything to be fine.
- Report your claim to the insurance agency as fast as possible. Gather all the documentation about damage and insurance coverage then contact your insurance company or agent.
Above few safety tips will serve as a guideline to protect you and your valuables from the flood.
Christian Insurance Agency is there to mentor you choose the best flood insurance policy from the best provider available in the market.
How can we help?
You can call us at 281.789.4070
To contact Christian Insurance Agency directly, please fill out the following form as completely as possible. When finished, click the Submit button to send your request and You will receive a response from us shortly.